Sunday, September 23, 2012

Reflections

It's been a while since I have added anything to this blog.  I would have to say since 2009 by the looks of my last posting.  Nonetheless, I haven't forgotten that this site exists, and I felt that it was high time I contribute.

A lot has happened in the past 3 years.  In fact, a lot more has happened just within the past several months, but this post isn't for a recap of my life's events.  It's more or less to put down some reflections that I was re-introduced to today.  Quick flashback:  back in 1996, I would sit down to a dimly lit desk and start to write.  I really didn't pay attention to what I was putting down on paper, I just knew that I wanted to write something.  I've done that a few times since then...either writing original pieces of my own, or taking down words of wisdom that I've encountered over the years and tried to live by.  I say "tried" because...well...nobody is perfect, but we'd all like to think that we're making improvements upon ourselves and doing well towards others. 

In either case, what follows is from something I scribbled in 2000.  Simple reflections that meant enough to me to make me write them in my little log book.  I'm sure they're probably older than when I noted them, but I feel that they hold true today.  Who knows, you might even find yourself reflecting on them and trying to make a change for yourself after reading.

1.  Maybe God wants us to meet a few wrong people before meeting the right one so that when we finally meet the right person, we will know how to be grateful for that gift.

2.  Love is when you take away the feeling, the passion, and the romance in a relationship and find that you still care for that person.

3.  When the door of happiness closes, another opens, but often time we look so long at the closed door that we don't see the one which has been opened for us.

4.  The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with...never saying a word...and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.

5.  It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it.  But it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

6.  There are things you'd love to hear that you would never hear from the person who you would like to hear from.  But don't be so deaf as not to hear it from the one who says it from their heart.

7.  Don't go for looks; they can deceive.  Don't go for wealth; in the end it fades away.  Go for someone who makes you smile because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright.

8.  Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go, be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.

9.  A careless word may kindle strife; a cruel word my wreck a life; a timely word may level stress; a loving word may heal and bless.

10.  The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.

11.  Happiness lies for those who cry, those who hurt, those who have searched, and those who have tried.  For only they can appreciate the importance of people who have touched their lives.

12.  The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go on well in life until you let go of all your past failure and heartaches.

No comments: